Unpredictable emotions, even a feeling a bit crazy, is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL when you’re running for your life from a tiger that is about to eat you! What happens, however, when everything that happens in our life is labeled as”tiger about to eat us”- diabolical crazy is normal!
SURVIVAL MODE occurs in the body when unrelenting stress or “tigers” happen or when we think everything that occurs is a “tiger attack.” During the fight for survival, cortisol secretion is your body’s normal ENERGY BOOSTER to help you run away from a “tiger attack.” Constant “tiger mode” every day, means too much cortisol is present in your blood and this gives a feeling of being “crazed.”
Emotions are controlled by “molecules of emotions” or neurotransmitters. When these go off the normal circadian rhythm, your body will start craving more sugar, and metabolic syndromes commonly follow. Want to fix your sugar cravings naturally? Get 8 to 9 hours a sleep a night. Additionally, the more cortisol you have, the harder it will be to keep those extra pounds off, as cortisol has a direct link to obesity.
The normal circadium rhythm of cortisol is high during the morning and low at night. When cortisol is low, melatonin and serotinin are high. These night hormones reduce your appetite and give you a calm feeling to help you get sleepy. Even though some meds can initiate cortisol production, they can’t complete a circadium rhythm reset!
You can initiate your own reset by realizing what gets the biorhythm off track and change to activities that reset it. The long term fix is an update in your lifestyle choices. You can change your bio-chemistry without medication!
Here are some typical habits of someone who needs a circadian rhythm reset:
Want to reset your bio-rhythm, lose weight and get happy? Here are the key steps. I suggest you pick your favorite step then do it for 2 weeks daily, then move on to your next favorite step. Skip one and you won’t like the consequences, but start one at a time to guarantee success for yourself!
1) Live by a bedtime routine. Two hours asleep before midnight is better than four hours after, so go to bed as close to sunset as possible. Limit artificial light pas 7pm. Staying on the computer until bedtime will mess up your health! Melatonin is its highest between 9 and 10 most nights. (It depends on when the sun set)
2) Eat early. Eat protein for breakfast and you’ll jumpstart your body to health so fast! Try to eat your biggest meals in the first 8 hours of the day. People who say they don’t have an appetite in the morning, need a jump start BAD!
3) Exercise in the morning. It’s not what most Americans do, because you have to get to bed early to make this happen, but those that wake up to a walk or yoga or a morning run notice a re-calibration of circadian rhythms quickly
4) Avoid stimulants after 7pm. Things that qualify as stimulants are tv, alcohol, sugar snacks or desserts or eating a full meal.
5) Get regular chiropractic adjustments. This can influence your biochemistry, your circadian rhythm and can help you lose weight because it has been shown to reduce cortisol production. It takes your body from the “chased by the tiger” mode to the “self-healing” mode- EVERY TIME YOU GET ADJUSTED!
The key to health is to engage in activities that trigger cortisol production during the morning and decrease activities that trigger cortisol during the night.
Remember, When Your Body Works, Your Life Works! Dr Carrie Jardine
Want to read more?
- A group of depressed women demonstrated a trend to increase cortisol secretion and a dysregulation of the HPA (Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Adrenal) axis. Cortisol secretion occurred at night in abundance when it should be very low.
- The rhythm of everything PhysOrg – June 18, 2013
- Sleep as a mediator of the stress-immune relationship, Psychosomatic Medicine January 1, 1998 vol. 60 no. 1 48-51
- Sleep in America Poll 2010, National Sleep Foundation,
- http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11633&page=1: Snooze or lose!
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11%CE%B2- hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase_ type_1: What 11B HSB 1 enzyme is. High cortisol leads to obesity